Utility Planning Solutions has extensive professional engineering experience and qualifications necessary to conduct energy distribution efficiency system scoping and detailed studies for electric utilities, measure and validate planned savings, prepare third party validation reports of energy saved for Public Utility Commissions, and determine cost effective optimal efficiency plans based on financial solutions tailored for the client. The company developed the first draft Simplified Voltage Optimization M&V Protocol using IPMVP guidelines and participated with BPA and regional utilities to gain utility acceptance and NWPCC-RTF approval. The company defined and simplified inputs for the BPA Project Tracking and Report system and assisted in determining statistical and economic analysis requirements for NWPCC-RTF efficiency calculators.
Utility Planning Solutions has provided electric utility distribution efficiency studies for Northwest Utilities including Cowlitz PUD, Flathead Electric Coop, Tillamook PUD, Lakeview L&P, Wells REC, NorthWestern Energy, PacifiCorp. If requested, efficiency potential reporting can be prepared for Commissions, Regulators, and/or Administrators. Studies include estimating distribution efficiency energy saving potential and developing cost effective alternative implementation plans. Plans include metering evaluations, load flow assessments, system modeling, customer load and financial impacts, changes to operational practices, and T&D standards.
- Performed Distribution Efficiency scoping and detailed studies for electric utilities, measure and validate planned savings, prepare third party validation reports of energy saved for Public Utility Commissions, and determine cost effective optimal efficiency plans based on financial solutions tailored for the client..
- Participated in BPA Energy Smart Utility Efficiency Program as a Technical Service Provider approved to perform efficiency studies and conduct measurement and verification field test and reporting.
- Developed new and alternative Simplified VO M&V Protocol formulations, calculators, and guidelines to be proposed to BPA and NWPCC-RTF Committee for approval.
- Prepared recommended revisions of existing RTF VO M&V Protocols to meet RTF standard formatting requirements.
- Participated in the development of NWPCC Power Plan, RTF Total Resource Cost model, and review of WAC 194-37-90 rules. Washington State Rules and Regulations and Utility Distribution System Efficiency Measures have been evolving over time since the passage of Initiative-937 in Washington state on Nov. 7, 2006. Other States are beginning to adopt similar rules. UPS has prepared M&V Protocols for use by Utilities to report to their PUC to determine the potential energy savings from distribution system activities.
- Prepared revisions to utility planning guidelines, construction and operation standards, and operation practices to better promote cost effective application of distribution efficiency measures.
- Performed metering assessments and recommendations for enhanced substation metering alternatives to efficiency gather the necessary data needed to perform distribution efficiency assessments.
- Performed distribution efficiency engineering assessments for BPA customers as a Technical Service Provider.
- Consulted with Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to evaluate System Loss Determination and Economic Assessment Formulations for the Distribution System Green Circuits Project and Loss reduction strategies.
- Provided T&D engineering training and technical workshops to electric utilities. The workshops and technical presentation dress the use of the simplified VO M&V Protocol, planning alternative assessments, design guidelines, and operational approaches for cost effective distribution system efficiency. Click here for an example of a technical VO presentation.
For further information, UPS Statement of Qualifications is available here.